[CF-Devel] archetype bug - current cvs unplayable

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Nov 23 16:24:42 CST 2000

On 23.11.00 Peter M. wrote:

      > If this bug (assuming it´s only one) cannot be fixed real

      > quick, I suppose that we take out the latest features

      > of CVS - until we reach a sane version again.

      > And then we re-insert them step by step after GOOD testing.

      I cannot react to this last comment without anything other than

      perplexity.  What is GOOD testing?  Should I test every change

      for 24 hours of playtime for heisenbugs like this before I

      commit anything?  If so, then I must decline the burden of any

      further crossfire development.  And even if I test everything

      I can think to for 24 hours, I might not wander into an appropriate

      map to trigger this apparent heisenbug.

My recent mail might have looked a bit like I want to
blame Peter for doing a bad job with his spell updates.

This was definitly NOT my intention! NOOOO! =(

I LOVE the new spells and I know that Peter has done
lots of testing on them. Furthermore, a bug like this
one is damn hard to see. So I don´t want to blame
*anyone* for doing anything!
The new spells are great and so are all new features.
And in fact I have no idea what is really causing
the bug right now. So a "bling guess" is probably
unappropriate anyways.
Moreover, a few bugs here and there are completely
okay, no real development is possible without that.
As long as we can find and fix them afterwards.

My only intention was to find the bug, I spent almost my
whole day today, trying to reproduce it.
I hope that Jan E. has tracked it down now, what he wrote
sounds reasonable to me.

PS: The worst thing I ever wanted to happen is Peter M.
quitting CF development. He´s doing a great job.

Andreas V.