[CF-Devel] CF DX Snapshot

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue Oct 31 19:34:37 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      > The Big one is that you only have the Image of

      > the item in inventory. That makes play the game

      > a major pain. May items look alike eg. rings.

      > from  the design lay out I think you could push it

      > inventory window up to and then spread things out.

      Hm, i don't know exactly what you mean. At the moment, i draw all

      items with his faces, of course i will use the animations of it after

      i go on with the interface.

 I think his point is a ring of strength +2 has the same face as a ring pro
fire/vuln cold, as well as most any other ring, and you probably want a quick
way to know what ring is what.

      Nope, i use the linux client as source base, i never see the windows client

      source. One reason to write it was the poor key bindings of the windows

      client,

      i will make almost of the keyboard free for binding, except some defined key

      for

      the basic interface (like the keyboard num block for walking on the map and

      the

      cursor keys  for cursor moving in inventory.)

 Fortunately for windows at least is tht you have fewer keyboard layouts to deal
with (the unix client has bindings for a decent variety of keyboards to try to
make it more functional on first use).  I think tht might still be nice for a
windows client for basic action, like apply below, search for traps, etc.  You
can let those keys be unbound/rebound, but I think it is preferable for a client
to have a more functional setup as distributed.

      **** At all, we need more people drawing pngs in 24bit and draw the

      backgrounds        ****

      **** for the dx client. All gfx in there are frome me and i nothing more

      than dummys!! ****

      **** Give me a mail, if you want try some gfx, i have all backgrounds as

      pngs dummys!! ****

 Why are you using your own png's instead of downloading them from the server?
It seems like that creates more work for yourself - you need your own set of
images, but also creates a scenario where each time the server has new
items/monsters/whatever with images, you will need to make a new client.