[CF-Devel] RE: Suggested fun project for someone....

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue Sep 12 09:01:31 CDT 2000

on Tue, 12 Sep 2000 Peter M. wrote:

      > This example is a bit misleading. The weapon in question has actually

     33

      > improvements, which is clearly a bug. You shouldn't be able to add

     stat

      Yeah, I thought you couldn't "improve" a weapon which already had

      magic (e.g., +7) on it (such as Calamity or most other powerful

      artifact weapons).  If you can, then clearly, some fixing is needed.

Calamity a misleading example? Why? I think it showed my point.
I wouldn´t consider it a bug either. Let´s face it - that´s just the way
the crossfire rules are defined for now.
I do agree that it is overpowered though. Break it, cut it,
tone it down - whatever, I´d support you.

      Er, I'd argue that the chainmail of winter is too powerful.  Immune

     cold?

      :(  I didn't know about the artifact when I made the quest for Lord

      Spectres.  Permanent immunity to cold.  Ick, ack, bad.  We don't even

      allow SPELLS of immunity.

YES YES YES!
I would hug you for that statement if that was possible :-)

But did you know that there´s a white dragon scale mail in pupland,
granting immunity to BOTH fire AND cold?! The only disadvantage about
the so called "wdsm" is it´s weight: 5 kg - the ultimate penalty...
It´s quite easy to get too, once you know how to do it (and with a little
bit of luck).
And then there is also this cloak of magic resistance, makes the wearer
immune to magic, thus immune to most spells (fireball, snowstorm,
lightning
etc.). And there is sorigs holy word, temporare immunity to lightning...
Not to forget the armour enchanting: Armour 99 eqals physical immunity.
Either oilskin cloak or cloak of the underworld grant complete immunity to
acid. The worst thing however is about the special attacktypes (read my
Immunity to paralyze, poison, blinding, depletion, fear and slow comes
with
level 90 just for the fun of it...
Anything left? Well, weaponmagic and godpower remains. Just a pity that
there is no enemy attacking with that stuff (except for dark angel Hanuk).

I used to believe that you guys know about this stuff and are all happy
with
it. Now that sentence about the wintermail... maybe there is hope... :-)

If you´d ask me what to do about it - hm, hard to say...
I remember that once some person suggested we should completely remove
immunities and make protections accumulative instead. With an upper limit
of 75% protection or something. But that would be a major major change,
I´m not sure if many people would agree to that...
Another way could be to make those kinds of power-artifacts much harder to
get. I mean a lava slasher (cold immu) for defeating a few baby dragons
(about 10 or so), isn´t that ridiculous?
Instead, just replacing those artifacts with a bunch of diamonds (or sth.
similar useless) would rip the "heart and soul" of those quests appart -
I think that would be the worst opion.
It´s real fun to do all those quest. Just that most of the fun is over
once you got all the artifacts.

And don´t forget - as always - this was no more than my humble 0.02$ :-)

Andreas

--
Sent through GMX FreeMail -

     http://www.gmx.net