[CF-Devel] Objects granting immunity are generally bad.

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 12 15:32:33 CDT 2000

      Calamity a misleading example? Why? I think it showed my point.

      I wouldn´t consider it a bug either. Let´s face it - that´s just the way

      the crossfire rules are defined for now.

      I do agree that it is overpowered though. Break it, cut it,

      tone it down - whatever, I´d support you.

Yeah, it's my map.  I'll tone it down, make it a bit more reasonable.
I won't, however, make it unusable.  The main purpose of that weapon
was to fulfil a quest.  I also thought that having to destroy a nice
thing like that would be a bitter sacrifice to make for noble rank.  :)

      But did you know that there´s a white dragon scale mail in pupland,

      granting immunity to BOTH fire AND cold?! The only disadvantage about

      the so called "wdsm" is it´s weight: 5 kg - the ultimate penalty...

Hmm, I thought it was practically unreachable.  Maybe I haven't fully
fathomed the pupland maps yet:  I've only just started to look at them.
But the items in the chance levels....  The further away from the start
of the boulder-chain, the less likely, so I thought wdsm would have
a 1/1024 probability or something like that, which makes it very
tiresome and tedious to try to get it.

Am I correct on that point?

      It´s quite easy to get too, once you know how to do it (and with a little

      bit of luck).

      And then there is also this cloak of magic resistance, makes the wearer

      immune to magic, thus immune to most spells (fireball, snowstorm,

      lightning

Well, immunity to magic isn't as good as one might think.  Attacks from most
creatures are abilities and not spells:  for example, dragonbreaths don't
have magic as part of the attacktype, or didn't the last time I checked.
I think skulls and dreads and most undead have abil_cold and not cold_spells?

Immunity to magic, I think, is far less powerful than immunity to cold,
strange as that may seem.

      etc.). And there is sorigs holy word, temporare immunity to lightning...

Lightning is also a more minor attack.

      Not to forget the armour enchanting: Armour 99 eqals physical immunity.

I thought armor enchanting only enhanced the ac, not the armour...

      Either oilskin cloak or cloak of the underworld grant complete immunity to

      acid. The worst thing however is about the special attacktypes (read my

Immunity to acid is a convenience only.  There isn't anything out there
which is a serious threat which uses acid, with the exception of the gaelotroll,
who die readily to fire....

      Immunity to paralyze, poison, blinding, depletion, fear and slow comes

      with

      level 90 just for the fun of it...

Maybe it's indeed time to put in the partial protection scheme.  All
protections and immunities would add like pices of armor:  approaching, but
never reaching, 100%, and diminishing returns at the high end of the scale.

      Anything left? Well, weaponmagic and godpower remains. Just a pity that

      there is no enemy attacking with that stuff (except for dark angel Hanuk).

      I used to believe that you guys know about this stuff and are all happy

      it. Now that sentence about the wintermail... maybe there is hope... :-)

Well, I'm only one of many developers and map makers.  It was I who made
the Cloak of the Underworld, simply because I found acid annoying.  I
didn't think it would be too powerful.  However, immunity to fire and cold
and physical and possibly magic are very bad indeed.  Too many monsters
are castrated if these attacks won't work.

      If you´d ask me what to do about it - hm, hard to say...

      I remember that once some person suggested we should completely remove

      immunities and make protections accumulative instead. With an upper limit

      of 75% protection or something. But that would be a major major change,

      I´m not sure if many people would agree to that...

That's been in the works for a LONG time, and I agree it's needed, and
indeed, it's been done.  Mark's been sitting on the patches for a long
time:  he has some reason for doing so which I forget.

      Another way could be to make those kinds of power-artifacts much harder to

      get. I mean a lava slasher (cold immu) for defeating a few baby dragons

      (about 10 or so), isn´t that ridiculous?

      Instead, just replacing those artifacts with a bunch of diamonds (or sth.

      similar useless) would rip the "heart and soul" of those quests appart -

      I think that would be the worst opion.

Well, we can make them powerful artifacts without granting immunity.
How about protection and a lot of damage, attuned fire, and maybe a few
stats?

PeterM

      It´s real fun to do all those quest. Just that most of the fun is over

      once you got all the artifacts.

      And don´t forget - as always - this was no more than my humble 0.02$ :-)

      Andreas

      --

      Sent through GMX FreeMail -

      http://www.gmx.net