[CF-Devel] Immunities.

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Wed Sep 13 01:16:04 CDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 01:48:39PM -0700, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      So it looks like some powerful immunities have crept into the game

      again.  Andreas Vogl has pointed these out:

      Permanent, granted by item:

      1)  Immunity to cold:  object in pupland.  (winter mithril chain)

In Lake Country (as allready pointed out).

      2)  Immunity to fire and cold:  object in pupland. (white dragon scale)

      3)  Immunity to Acid (oilskin cloak, Trident of Sea Mastery, Cloak of Underworld)

Chaos sword

      4)  Immunity to paralysis/slow/confusion (various)

      5)  Immunity to physical (armor enchanted to 99)

      6)  Immunity to magic (cloak of Magic Resistance in pupland)

Only effective against electricity, which seems always to be magical
not ability?

      Temporary:

      a)  Immunity to electricity (Sorig prayer)

Gorokh and Valriel: confusion fear
Devourers: Immune: drain, fear, depletion, death
Ruggili: fire
Gaea: drain, depletion, death
Mostrai: only god who has immunitu removed? (used to be fire)
Lythander: confusion
Gnarg: Poison

I think that if these temporary immunities are not removed, then Mostrai
should be given back the immunity to fire (not ONLY beacuse I always
choose Mostrai, but holy posession of Mostrai is a bit stupid now, as
it does absolutely nothing).

      I believe that some of these immunities should not be allowed, since they

      are too powerful.

      I think these artifacts should be toned down:

      1)  2) 5) Possibly 6)  The immunities granted protect too broadly.

1) is not as useful to wizards, because of denied fire, so perhaps
one day this could be made wiz only armour? :-)

6) as said above, only protect from electricity. And if that is changed
to ability, then it would only protect You from user magic.

      These I think are tolerable:

      3) 4)  Acid, paralysis, slow, confusion:  Not as bad.  Acid is more a

      threat to items than to players.

Not true. Have You ever attacked a bunch of high level acid monsters?
Being immune to everything else a nice little rustmonster in ancient
pupland is a bit of nasty suprise.

      Temporary immunities are tolerable, mostly:  I don't know if a) should

      be allowed.

See above. If a) and other posession immunities are allowed, then
Mostrai needs also the fire immunity back. If we get to cumulative
protections scheme going, holy posession can be toned down to give
like 2 times normal prot.

      I propose to change 1) 2) 5) and 6) into artifacts which are very powerful

      but which do NOT grant immunities, such as the things in my FireTemple

      finale map.

In My opinion only one of the artifacts is too powerful, that's 2).
It's actually quite hard to get. Oilskin cloak is also a wee bit too
easy to get. Temporary immunities are a good thing. Without them
some quests are impossible to go trhough before reaching levels that
You longer need the stuff that You would get solving the quests.
It seems to Me that changing these artifacts to have no immunities
but to still be desireable is a lot of work. I mean, I don't think
I would like to meet mr. evil master to get a cloak that didn't give
magic immunity. Or Eureca without a chance to get white dragon scale
mail. Then again I'm nowdays mostly playing perma_death so those
items are stuff that "old legengs tell us about" :-)
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |