[CF-Devel] Just some idle thoughts

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Apr 4 00:46:17 CDT 2001

dnh wrote:

      Recently a new player came into #crossfire (puff) and said he

      favoured rogues when playing. What strikes me, is how useless most of the

      theifs skills are, stealing? hardly ever works.. and exp is practically

      worthless. Not only that, but if you fail the monster attacks you (ouch,

      watch out level 1 players). Hiding is also pretty much useless I can see

      its uses but the way crossfire is played it simply isn't worth the time.

 The fact of the matter is that crossfire (and most computer RPG's for that
matter) are largely kill anything that moves.  Perhaps some of the problem is
suggestions in crossfire that this isn't really the case (some of the skills
mentioned, as well as the classes provided).

 I think trying to make one map be doable in many different ways may be
difficult.  IT would probably be better to make some maps more doable by one
class/skill set.  Problem is balance.

 Some problem is the maps themselves.  Many of the maps are very congested with
monsters, so even if you want to try to be stealthy or whatever, the simple fact
is that the corriders are often filled up with monsters, so you just can't sneak
around them.

      a) Skills tend to be deep rooted, if we change something the effects may

      cause some unforseen unbalance thus causing more and more problems

 The problem to some extent is probably balance.  for example, being able to
steal from most anything if your level 100 is probably not an issue, but it is
an issue if your level 20 and able to steal some really good items from
monsters, the

      For mapmakers, all I can do is plea to who ever is busy working on maps to

      consider ALL the characters not just your current one =). For server

      developers I wonder if we can start a thread discussing problems areas and

      possible solutions. While I am currently busy fixing images, I think the

      discussion can occur, I hope to have all the problem images done withing a

      month or two, then I can start working on these problems. As a possible

      example, should we consider changing items in current mapsets? I recently

      changed a few but they were minor changes, and just things like an extra

      +10 to resistance caused quite abit of checking with everyone to make sure

      it is fair and balanced. If we start changing this sword to a new glove,

      it may upset players who have come to enjoy the prize for the challenge,

      it may also upset the author and it may upset other maps that require a

      weapon of that type. Therefore should we just leave items as they are?

 Chaning a sword to a glove may not appear to be a big deal, but if that glove
is a lot better than any other glove out there, that then does prove a problem,
as there will certainly still be good weapons out there, and so the combination
now makes things more powerful.

 I don't have a problem with discussion on whatever issues are needed.