[CF-Devel] food bug?

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Apr 6 05:09:31 CDT 2001

      Preston Crow wrote:

      > I've noticed that when I eat food that has some specail protection

      > characteristics, it seems to have no effect on my character (other than

      > filling his stomach).  Are the protections added without telling the

      > client, or are they ignored?  Either way, it doesn't seem right.

      Its trickier than that.

      If your resistance changes, the client will get updated.

      However, the resistance the food gives may not be done as obviously as one

      may thing - basically, the a food has resistance, it casts the appropriate

      resistance spell.  So if you already have the spell up, it doesn't really

      do anything.

No, you are wrong. Eating flesh (bodyparts) with resistance does not have
any effect other than filling the stomache. And it was not intended another
way. The resistance on flesh serves the sole purpose to prevent it getting
destroyed by spells.
For example: Dragonsteaks are resistant to fire. so when I kill a group of
twenty dragons, I actually have a chance to find some bodyparts after
killing.

Now the real "bug" is only the fact that the resistance on flesh gets
printed to the player on identify/examine. And this is only the case
because the examine-function for weapons (->resistance important)
and flesh is the same.

      Likewise, the resistance value of the food has no effect of the resistance

      value you get when you eat it.  In all cases, the resistance spell of the

      same power gets cast.

      What should really happen is a special force just for food effects gets

      added to the players inventory, with its resistance value based on the

      reistance value of the food, and the duration based on the food value -

      so eating that ogre finger won't get you a very long duration, but that

      ogre corpse would.

       Anyone want to do this change?

I think casting protection spells on eating flesh is a bad idea. Flesh is
just much too common. It would no longer be neccessary to cast any prot.
spells by magic. That again would strengthen the warriors and make
wizards/priests more lame in comparison. And sorig, for example has
"denied protection" as major penalty - That would get obsolete too.

Just a note: I plan to reshape the quetzal race to gain small bits of
(permanent) resistance by eating appropriate flesh items. I already done
most of the coding and it's a real interesting alternative to other races.
But I currently stopped working on it, waiting for after 1.0.

Andreas V.