[CF-Devel] food bug?

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Apr 7 01:59:12 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      No, you are wrong. Eating flesh (bodyparts) with resistance does not have

      any effect other than filling the stomache. And it was not intended another

      way. The resistance on flesh serves the sole purpose to prevent it getting

      destroyed by spells.

      For example: Dragonsteaks are resistant to fire. so when I kill a group of

      twenty dragons, I actually have a chance to find some bodyparts after

      killing.

 IT depends.

 I looked at the code and actually saw this behaviour while running on my server
with special foods.

 Its actually a little trickier - the food actually needs to have a tile, so I'm
not sure if bodyparts do, but I think some artifact foods do.  If it has a
title, you do get the special properties, and it is done via spell.

      Now the real "bug" is only the fact that the resistance on flesh gets

      printed to the player on identify/examine. And this is only the case

      because the examine-function for weapons (->resistance important)

      and flesh is the same.

 Well, if the food has a title, the information actually is somewhat relevant,
as you will get special properties (albeit done via spellcasting).

 Now IMO, it may be a nice feature to actually have bodyparts transfer their
effects to the player for some amount of time.  This would actually make some
bodyparts more useful, and probably wouldn't unbalance things much with the PR
code.

 Now with the latest food patch, probably the delta of how much food actually
gets added should count (ie, if you at 990, eat a 500 food dragon stake, you
only get 10/500 or 2% of normal duration).

      I think casting protection spells on eating flesh is a bad idea. Flesh is

      just much too common. It would no longer be neccessary to cast any prot.

      spells by magic. That again would strengthen the warriors and make

      wizards/priests more lame in comparison. And sorig, for example has

      "denied protection" as major penalty - That would get obsolete too.

 Aren't scrolls immune to that anyways?  So for sorig, all your really forcing
the person to do is find appropriate scrolls of protection?

 Note if we do it via special food effects, then presumably the benefits would
be given to everyone equally, as you could still stack it with the protection
spell.  It would basically mean that you could get a bit more protection by
carrying around appropriate food, but with PR, this probably isn't a really big
deal.  After all, if you know what your about to face, you do the same thing by
equipping the appropriate items with the right protections.

 This wouldn't give anyone any real advantage then - as everyone would have the
benefit, and it wouldn't take any benefit away.