[CF-Devel] post V1.0

Chris Lusena lusena at cs.uky.edu
Mon Apr 9 11:06:51 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:44:38AM -0400, Preston Crow wrote:

      How about making death less painful for lower-level characters?

     [snip]

      Stat point depletion should be only a 5% chance at first level, increasing

      to 100% at level 20.

agreed, the other problem is money/equipment I think. When I
start a character it takes a long time to get enough stuff/spells
so that money is not a constant problem. Take two standard beginner
quest.

Friendly Giant Tower and Gorks Grovel. After you work it out you net
about 3-400 pp which is about 3 spells, or some +2 equipment, etc.
or 1/2 a potion of life. with a 2-4 level character I can do this in
maybe 30 minutes. This is the most a character at that level can do I think.
and there is a change of ding (thinking about 90% for beginner but I don't
know. Experience player much less)

The  chainmail quest. You get again about 6-700 pp and a not
usefull item Mirthrial chainmail. It is about as good as +2 chain though
it weights less. You need a 5-6 level charater and quit a bit of
+2 stuff to do this. Net gain maybe 1 spell. So at the start if your
as expert you don't die much and no how to do this you can go to the
big money quest and level up quickly. But if you a beginner with
not much knowledge of the game and how to make money, getting equipment is
a problem. Plus you die and that potion of life is very expensive.

The new spell store that always as useful spells is nice but it is very
expensive. Either it should be cheaper or they need to be auto spell learn
books. (like starting) Auto learning  has a side effect that the Q can learn
 some spells early without massive artifacts, potions etc.

--
Chris Lusena                       Office: 762 AH
Department of Computer Science     Phone: 859-257-3678

     lusena at cs.uky.edu

Lexington, KY 40506-0046 U.S.A.

     http://www.cs.uky.edu/~lusena