[CF-Devel] Hey, slow down a bit!

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon Apr 9 23:51:01 CDT 2001

Preston Crow wrote:

      >PS-Whats the policy for including new mapsets right now or within

      >the stable releases? Mine should prolly be usable some time soon...

      While I have no real say in the matter, it seems that it should be a

      no-brainer to include more mapsets in the main distribution.  What should

      be debated is when they're ready to be linked in to the standard maps.

      For example, if I were to include my maps (which aren't ready by any

      means), I would include:

         /preston/README

              A description of the maps, explanation that they're not linked in, and

              instructions on how to link them in.

         /preston/patch

              A patch file that will update one of the main maps to link my maps in,

              as explained in the README.

      I sure wish the Grey Shield maps were included in that fashion.  (Actually,

      I wish they were standard--they're better than a good number of the older

      maps.)  Does anyone know where they are now?

 This is actually a reasonable idea.  I would suggest that manual directions for
including/linking in the map may be needed.

 If several people do this, it is possible that the patches included may
conflict with each other, which is why I suggest this.

 Someone else is taking care of maps as I recall, although with CVS, that isn't
need as much.  I would suggest that no new maps should probably be linked in to
active maps until after 1.0.

 But there is a question of why include stuff that is not ready yet?  The only
real reason I could see is if you hope other people will work/finish up the maps
(or if they're mostly ready - ie, need some debugging/balance issues).