[CF-Devel] Playing Ruggilli and other things

Jochen Suckfuell crossfire at suckfuell.net
Sun Apr 22 04:55:43 CDT 2001

Hi!

Playing Ruggilli

I've been playing Ruggilli with a Quez for a while now. Here's my impression:
It was very hard to come by enough wisdom exp so that I could learn the
ultimate retributive strike. Since turning is denied, I have to use the Avatar
(2x2) or flaming aura to kill monsters. Flaming aura is mainly against smaller
monsters, I can't kill the really big ones with it.
The Avatar is strong, that's good, but over level 30 wis, it becomes quite
boring to always use the avatar.

Then I finally got the retributive strike (the server admin was so kind as to
add it to my player, since I didn't get it even after excessive praying with
high stats and grace). I didn't use it very often though, since it's very
dangerous to handle (like snowstorm, you better not stand inside).

I would like to see this immolation thing work, but it didn't for me. If this
adds exp to wisdom, it would be very interesting. Immolation itself sound
pretty cool. (It didn't work in the latest CVS though.)

Fact is, I never came over level 45 wis and finally changed the god to Valriel.
Although "perceive self" didn't say so, I think Ruggilli must have had a luck
penalty: I didn't learn retributive strike, and uncursing items on the altar
also takes a _very_ long time. With Valriel, I get items uncursed within
seconds!

Calculation of resistances

I tried Devourer with a Quez and saw that the fire immunity was reduced to 70%!
I thought that's multiplicative (in which case -30 wouldn't have done anything
to the immunity). Then I tried a Ring of Fire (+30), but I still had only 70%,
the ring didn't work!?
This was a test character, and when I quit, the ring of fire I had given him
was gone, instead of lying on the ground where he quit.

Logging in after connection died

It happens that the connection is closed while I'm playing, in which case my
character remains in the game for about 10 minutes. I can't log in again during
that time. If I kick the character (using DM), the player is removed from the
game, but still can't log in.
If I kick him again, the server crashes.

Maybe you can change the login procedure, that if you log in and the player is
already there, then he's first removed and then logged in properly. Since
password authentication has been done, this should not be an issue.

Bye
Jochen

--
A farmer is a man outstanding in his field.

--- eMail

     jochen at suckfuell.net

      -----

     http://www.suckfuell.net/jochen/