[CF-Devel] new wall faces for png

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Feb 10 17:00:23 CST 2001

 I don't have nay big problems with it.  It will mean the server will consume a
little more memory, and the client will take a little more bandwidth (as the
image data needs to be sent to them).

 A while back, I believe Bt had suggested making curves for other terrain types
(forests, plains, etc) so things wouldn't be so blocky.  I can't remember why I
said it was a bad idea at the time - probably for the same reasons as above, but
computers and bandwidth have changed quite a bit since that time.  If someone
wants to revisit that idea, it seems fine to me.

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I noticed on many maps that walls are used "incorrectly"

      in regard of perspective. That doesn't matter for xpms because

      they are so small that perspective is hardly noticed. But for

      the larger pngs it looks really ugly.

      So I've created some totally new kinds of wall faces.

      As an "example", I changed the zoo in scorn and the HallOfSelection

      to take advantage of these new images. I made snapshots so

      you can see the difference "before - afterwards":

      <

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/zoo/

      Right now the new pics are simply invisible in xpm mode, but I

      think they could be drawn in xpm pretty much alike.

      I'd like to change more maps to take advantage of this new "look".

      So, tell me what you think about it. Is it okay to do so?

      Does anyone have objections?

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com