[CF-Devel] Why do people hate wizards?

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 19 13:49:35 CST 2001

      2 Jessy's (Oppie&Fonz): 10000HP only, immune: physical, fire, cold,

      confusion, acid, drain, ghosthit, poison, slow, paralyze and turn_undead.

      90% prot magic, vulnerable electricity and fear.

Ball lightning OR  Divine shock OR  Directors and comet OR  Directors and
cause wounds.  Create earth wall with the directors.

      4 demon lords: 5000 hp only, immune fire and fear, 90% resistance godpower

      and holyword, 95% cold, 80% magic.

Ball lightning OR  Divine shock OR  Directors and comet.
Also, required is a potion of fire resistance and healing.

      4 Dragon lords: one 5000 hp only, rest 3500 hp only, immune: fire,

      electricity, cold, acid, drain, poison, slow, paralyze and fear,

      30% resistance physical and confusion.

Divine shock OR  Directors and comet OR  Directors and cause wounds.
Create earth wall.

      8 demilich and a lich.

Directors and holy orb OR potion of cold resistance and holy word
for a frontal assault.  And it's a super-lich not just a lich.

      10 electric, 10 red and 10 chinise dragons.

for the 10 chinese:
potion of cold resistance.  Burning hands.  They die FAST.

For the 10 red:
director and large snowstorm.  create earth wall as a shield.

For the 10 electric:  simplest yet!  Just fire large fireball
at them from beyond the range of the lightning.

      A wizard that can do all those kills, needs those items as much as a fish

      needs a bicycle.

I did all this at about magic level 20.  I had a str of about 19,
because I'd taken the time to look around in chests and random
maps to find sufficient potions of str to max myself out.
I was wearing a girdle of dam I'd got in the quests.  I was wearing
a Ring of Elrond I found in a shop and bought with my accumulated
wealth.  I also found an Amulet of Free Action while I was killing
angels in the Temple of Darkness to get my power crystal.

I did this on metalforge.real-time.com, using my gorokh-priest
(who cannot cast healing spells).

Now, what *I* am having trouble with is the FireTemple.  The
damned second-to-last greater demon wouldn't die to ANYTHING
I did to it.  :(

In retrospect, I should have just sealed him off with earthwalls
and bypassed him.

      Back, when wizards were still playable, one could, with enough spellpoints,

      get str near 30 and with immunity potions one could kill those jessys and

      dragonmen with a big weapon. Now this is no longer possible.

Well, I killed them.  I just used divine shock instead.  I could
also have done it with build director, create earthwall, and spells
like cause many wounds or comet or meteor storm.

In fact, compared to the old way I used to play a wizard, the only
changes are that I need to use the potions of cold resistance/fire resistance
instead of just holy-wording the demon lords with my valriel-priest,
and I have the new option of using Divine Shock.

To me, what you say sounds like you really want to be playing your
wizard like a fighter--when the going gets tough, whip out that sword.
I say that when suitable preparations are made,
you can solve that quest without resorting to the sword at all,
as a wizard.  I have done it.  Recently.  On metalforge.

Furthermore, if you turn over enough rocks, you can find the potions
you need.  Also, the random fountains in the random maps sometimes
give stat points.

I'm afraid I must dismiss your claim that wizards are "unplayable."
They are playable.  I've solved that map.

However, how hard are they compared to playing a fighter?  It might
be a good idea to turn down the magic resistance of various monsters
a bit.

Who has played BOTH a wizard-only player AND a fighter-only player?
What say you?  Are fighter-only players lots easier?
I pretty much only use wizards, so I cannot compare.  The last time
I started a troll-barbarian, I quickly turned him into a semi-decent
spellcaster.

PeterM

      Well ,perhaps I have played this game enough allready, perhaps it's time to

      find some other game, that let's me play wizard again.

      Angband/tk looks quite good actually.

      --

      BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

      pjka at iki.fi

      >                   |'Bridge Players |

      Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

      http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

       | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |

      HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com