[CF-Devel] The Monk

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Wed Jan 10 11:11:07 CST 2001

      I have started testing out Gaea with a monk and have come across a few

      issues. First off I have started redoing the xpm images for the monk as I

      don't like the current ones. The first of this set can be found at,

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~dnh/religous/monk/newmonk/*

      I believe the monk should be a powerful cross between warrior wizard and

      monk. Strongly religous to the state of a zealot, these warriors go out in

      search of blasphemers and put them to rights. I disagree with the current

      setup, which is (remember there is +2 because of weapon disadvantage)

      Str Dex Con Int Wis Pow Cha

      21  21  21  20  20  22  17

      i think more focus on dex and wisdom at the cost of str and int.

      Str Dex Con Int Wis Pow Cha

      19  23  20  19  21  20  17

Hm, now you have removed all warrior abilities. 21 for a char which should
fight
is not much, with 19 he is really weak. Dex is in CF as fighting skill
pretty useless
yet and i play all times fighter classes beecause i love the action.

Raise Dex from 21 to 23 will make no real difference in hacking, but every
str point above or
downwards 20 will make a real bad difference. Count a str point more or less
as 2.5 points to
other stats if we talk about the cross characters (ninja, paladin, etc.).

Because he can't hold a weapon, it will be nearly impossible to him to get
real high str,
but by fighting high class monsters you will need and feel every point. If i
remove for example
my gauntlets and fight with 28 instead of 30 str with my ninja, i need about
3 times longer to
kill high level monsters.

So, you have to adjust the wc and others to compensate it.
But is it not easier to give him str 25 or so and high dex and make spell
little more harder?
The we have a real "fighting monk". Spellcasters have we enough.

There is one simply way to avoid the special attack problem:

Give him a special attack tye which no monster can avoid except it
is set to invulnerable to all, so he don't need any other attack type.

Let him meditate and when he is full of all states and he meditate a time,
he becomes double damage for some time.

This will be powerful indead, but its will fix the higher level problem and
it will
be a real bonus the player missed all the fun with the weapons.

I mean, i don't play the game because i will first win. I will have fun
first, and win second.
(When we ever have a player who need win first, we should give it to him,
because he has
a phychological problem and we can easy help him with let him win... :).

Playing (and first finding or questing) with weapon is some of the fun of
the game.
We must make the non weapon chars more interesting.

And why should one play a monk when he can play a fireborn with fire immun
and
so good spell casting ? Or the Q.?

      Also I think monks should get a little extra bonus on the wc and weapon

      speed as they gain levels. Like Qs now get armour I think a Monk should

      rapidly develop deadly karate skills. Towards later levels a monk is left

      with only physical attack and a pathetic damage. By adding the extra wc

      and damage a monk wont be completely dead in the water (although it is

      impossible to get points off alot of high monsters.. and in some cases

      impossible to kill them (shadow tiger, which could be moved to

      unnatural). These are my thoughts now, but they are subject to rapid

      change, currently with a whole host of special defensive spells gaea is

      quite a good god, and with a monk an exception level gainer at low levels.

      After dreads though points become harder to gain than standard gods and

      players. Infact at level 20 I am still having troubles killing hill

      giants, and I have no chance against a troll, meditate is good but can

      only be used away from combat, it is no help in the middle of a battle

      unless you can retreat.

      Basically the monk and fireborn are facing some serious problems, map

      makers have made maps for themselves, and they forget about the fact that

      some players can't get any attack type other than physical (and fire). The

      only way they can complete maps is with the aid of a friend, which is fine

      but creates some big problems. It has been suggested by peterm that we

      leave the fireborn alone as it can be the super challenge character for

      the most experienced players to prove themselves.

      dnh

      PS. I have taken up AVs offer and shall replace my pantheon with his

      version, discussion continues regarding exactly what we are changing so

      keep an eye on it.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com