[CF-Devel] The Monk

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Wed Jan 10 22:29:42 CST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Bob Tanner wrote:

      Quoting Michael Toennies (

      michael.toennies at nord-com.net

      ):

No you are quoting me =)

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~dnh/religous/monk/newmonk/*

      > > I believe the monk should be a powerful cross between warrior wizard and

      > > monk. Strongly religous to the state of a zealot, these warriors go out in

      > > search of blasphemers and put them to rights. I disagree with the current

      > > setup, which is (remember there is +2 because of weapon disadvantage)

      I always thought of monks as warrior/priests.

      Spells of healing and nature.

Spells? do you mean prayers?

      The monk is a master at defense, not offense. That is why DEX is so important.

      That is also why as the monk levels, his AC drops.

A Qs AC drops with levels, this doesn't mean it is a defensive creature.

      I have never played nor have I read where a monk (reglious person) running into

      melee shouting the praises of his god and casting fireball. :-)

Why is this important? A monk will use what ever it has at hand to uphold
its beliefs, whether that be a fist of a fireball. I think it is important
(and peterm tells me this all the time) to remember crossfire is crossfire
not any other game. We can make any character how we want, and I think a
monk is more than just a healer and defense player. Remember Gaea needs
zealots too, to make sure no undead can destroy her work. However would
survive if all her followers were happy to heal other gods players? Gaea
needs some law enforcement too. Monks recieve as a gift meditation in
exchange for the promiss of purity. Meditation helps both hp and sp but
not gr, what does that indicate? it is a gift from the gods to help spell
using.

      Why play the monk? The criticial hit. Every RPG I have played gives the monk a

      critical hit and that is why the monk can rock.

Nope, monks rock because they are cool =). I hope to see our monk having
super fast speeds beyond any other player, and while having such a low
damage, they have the most rapid attack speed moving like bolts of
lightning, striking with no remorse and radiating pure magic energies. =)

      I always visioned the monk standing behind the melee, casting cure light wounds

      on his party, until that fateful momement when one comrade drops. The monk

      springs forward to defend his fallen friend and strikes the monster just below

      the base of the skull and the monster drops dead.

Any character can do this, but that isn't how crossfire is played. A monk
has to be able to make a living just like anything else and can't be
expected to wait around for other players. How is it ever going to gain
experience if all it is doing is waiting for the other players to die? In
crossfire it doesn't kill in one hit, it creates a swarm of fists, forcing
any and all to retreat back, anything that doesn't is in for trouble.

dnh