[CF-Devel] The Monk

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Jan 11 23:47:57 CST 2001

 I think ones vision of the monk will vary depending on your source.

 For example, AD&D took the monk or less as the Shaolin Priest from Kung Fu.
Basically, a warrior with some mystic abilities.

 But one thing that both the TV series and AD&D did was allow monks to use
weapons.  While Cain may have typically used his hands, he certain did use a
bo/jo stick and nunchuks once in a while.  Even the openining credits show them
using such things and throwing spears.

 Thats not to say that crossfire should do that, but that may be where some of
the history for that came from.

 As MichT said, one serious disadvantage with the monk (and any/all
classes/races that can't use weapons) is that is where a major portions of ones
abilities at higher levels come from.

 I wonder if it may be more interesting to give some of the classes/races
special abilities at certain times (for example, AD&D gives the monk basically
some special ability every level).  Perhaps have a monk training center, and if
the monk goes there and trains (and is appropriate level), he basically gets
some bonus, like extra strength or speed or damage (he has learned the
'quivering palm' technique and does more damage or has an additional attacktype
now).  This would be a lot like what you currently get praying over altars, but
instead be class specific.

 Note that this could be added for all classes, but for some classes this makes
more sense - you want to make them decently powerful at high level without
making them way more powerful at low level.  Giving special abilities would seem
to be the way to do that.

 I wouldn't worry about removing the abilities if the character loses levels,
but he can't gain the same one multiple times.  Since you can't change classes,
losing exp never would seem like a good idea in any case.