[CF-Devel] 3 things

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jan 19 01:58:29 CST 2001

Jan Echternach wrote:

      The damage the player is doing to his enemy using a skill attack.  The

      damage value displayed in the client is inconsistent.  There is a value

      displayed right after selecting the skill, and a different value after

      actually attacking something.

 The problem is that hth_attack is called each time you attack something, and
the damage done could vary based on what you are attacking (you do more damage
to lower level creatures for example).  This was apparantly a feature.

 Unfortunately, since hth_attack is called every time you attack something, it
is not feasible for it to search the inventory for damage increasing objects.

 I've checked in a change that just doesn't call hth_damage.  Instead, we rely
on damage from fix_player - this takes into account girdles of damage and so
forth.

 This may weaken the monk some, as it may now cause less damage by some amount.

 Also, there is some side effect, as when you first log on, apaprantly the
karate skill is not active, so the damage it reports is non skilled damage (at
low levels, this seems to be 4 points lower).  So it will still change if you
attack something - if then later you use another skill, it will go to the non
skilled damage.

 I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature.  to fix it would require changes to
fix_player to always use the attack skill object.  However, I think it is
possible that you may be able to have multiple attacktype skills (karate &
punching for example?) so that gets more complicated.

 Note the change above applies to all damage skills (karate, clawing, flame
touch, and punching).