[CF-Devel] talisman & holy symbol

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jan 19 23:28:00 CST 2001

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      I agree with MT below:

      1)  Auto-apply any holy symbol or talisman or lockpick, even if you have

          the skill.

      2)  The player should stuck any unwanted holy symbols/talismans in

          a pack.

 Someone want to update the FAQ on this then?

 The reason I originally fixed it was because a character had two talisman, one
denying cold spells.  He would log in, attempt to cast a spell, and be denied,
log out, log back in, and could now cast that spell.

 That is pretty non intuitive, but the reason behind it is that whenever you go
through a save/load cycle, your inventory is reversed (this is due to
efficiencies in the linked list - easier to save starting at the front of the
linked list and going backwards, and at same point, when loading, it is more
efficient to put now items at the start of the list)

 Note as you pick stuff up, this will also go at the start of the list, so if
you have auto pickup applied and pick up a talisman that denies you something,
you may now discover that you can't cast spells until you find that talisman in
your inventory and dispose of it.

 It may have just been before that it used the first matching skill (whether
real object or skill object), so it was switching between a talisman and the
native skill.

 I'm just a little concerned that having the game auto choose skill objects is
going to create confusion for new players as it did for the case described
above.

 To be honest, I don't really like how skill objects (lockpicks, talismans, etc)
are currently handled, as you can't apply them all the time.  I would almost
rather they stay applied (only one of each type at at time of course), and then
when you use a skill, it finds the applied skill object.

 Maybe this is the way it should be, but I started a paladin character (that
gets a holy symbol).  Now he only gets the special resistance from his god when
that holy symbol is applied, which basically means when hes casting a spell.  In
his case, I think it might be better for him to have the native skill as then he
would always get that benefit.