[CF-Devel] talisman & holy symbol

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Jan 20 03:00:45 CST 2001

      Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > I agree with MT below:

      > 1)  Auto-apply any holy symbol or talisman or lockpick, even if you have

      >     the skill.

      > 2)  The player should stuck any unwanted holy symbols/talismans in

      >     a pack.

       Someone want to update the FAQ on this then?

       The reason I originally fixed it was because a character had two

      talisman, one

      denying cold spells.  He would log in, attempt to cast a spell,

      and be denied,

      log out, log back in, and could now cast that spell.

       That is pretty non intuitive, but the reason behind it is that

      whenever you go

      through a save/load cycle, your inventory is reversed (this is due to

      efficiencies in the linked list - easier to save starting at the

      front of the

      linked list and going backwards, and at same point, when loading,

      it is more

      efficient to put now items at the start of the list)

       Note as you pick stuff up, this will also go at the start of the

      list, so if

      you have auto pickup applied and pick up a talisman that denies

      you something,

      you may now discover that you can't cast spells until you find

      that talisman in

      your inventory and dispose of it.

       It may have just been before that it used the first matching

      skill (whether

      real object or skill object), so it was switching between a

      talisman and the

      native skill.

       I'm just a little concerned that having the game auto choose

      skill objects is

      going to create confusion for new players as it did for the case described

      above.

       To be honest, I don't really like how skill objects (lockpicks,

      talismans, etc)

      are currently handled, as you can't apply them all the time.  I

      would almost

      rather they stay applied (only one of each type at at time of

      course), and then

      when you use a skill, it finds the applied skill object.

Very true, the real problem is the appling and the autohandling of things.

But we got the problem also on a other point: throwing.

Your char throws like he can blind catch and it makes the throw skill almost
unuseble.

I think about one mechanism with can handle booth problems, but iam not sure
about how it works in real.

I mean to introduce a "use" flag. Like pressing 'u' key and your see a
little u
on your item. Now this item is marked as used.

And now the server search the inventory only for item to throw or auto apply
which
have use flag set.

If we let the server look for the right item tye, so that he don't throw a
u-marked
holy symbol for example it will work i think.

But i will then a more complex iventory managment and i don't now about how
good it
will work in game play.