[CF-Devel] Fog of war code checked in

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 26 20:11:29 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:29:58PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Works like a charm now.  A very cool feature - makes doing some of the random

      maps much easier to verify you've covered the spaces, and also positioning for

      the ideal position when casting the various detection spells.

Glad you like it. I was mostly trying to fix the claustrophobic  feel
crossfire had, open things up a bit.

       I do notice that it gets confused when using the shop mats, and I imagine it

      would get confused with all inter map transports.  Unfortunately, I don't

      have a perfect solution - if we tell the client exactly where the player

      has gotten moved to, this will make some maps much easier (as you will

      very easily know what way you likely need to get back to where you where,

      or know where all the secret chambers are more likely to be, etc.

       For shop mats, sending an offset of how much the player got moved would

      probably be OK, as most all cases the destination mat is in plain view of hte

      source, and even in cases where the wall is pretty solid, its pretty obvious

      where the mat leads.  Unfortunately, I know there are maps that use many

      teleporters in which the destination is not readily available, and the same

      goes for pit traps, etc.

I think sending a newmap cmd every time the player goes through a transporter
or pit or dragon transport or whatever is fine. I can do a few things to
make the reset_map() function less expensive. Right now it clears everything
then asks for a full update from the server. Saving the current faces in
with viewport should be good enough to prevent asking for a full update.
If this actually works, getting a newmap cmd from the server shouldn't
be a big deal.

I haven't had time to go poking through the server to find the code
path for transporters and pits, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mark, do you want to extend the pngximage client to do use fog of war?

 -Scott