[CF-Devel] Fog of war code checked in

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Jul 31 01:50:17 CDT 2001

Scott MacFiggen wrote:

      On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:29:58PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      >  Works like a charm now.  A very cool feature - makes doing some of the random

      > maps much easier to verify you've covered the spaces, and also positioning for

      > the ideal position when casting the various detection spells.

      Glad you like it. I was mostly trying to fix the claustrophobic  feel

      crossfire had, open things up a bit.

 IMO, it is much nicer for the outdoor maps (still very useful for indoor also),
but really lets you see more of the countryside.  I had thought that objects
should have partial blocking abilities - ie, it would take several forests to
completely block, but a single forest would effectively make things behind it
harder to see (done basically with the lighting code, which means if your in a
forest at night, your light wouldn't go as far either).  Such a change is
unrelated to the one above in terms of technical ability, but a similar
motivation, which was to make more of it visible, was evident.

      I think sending a newmap cmd every time the player goes through a transporter

      or pit or dragon transport or whatever is fine. I can do a few things to

      make the reset_map() function less expensive. Right now it clears everything

      then asks for a full update from the server. Saving the current faces in

      with viewport should be good enough to prevent asking for a full update.

      If this actually works, getting a newmap cmd from the server shouldn't

      be a big deal.

 The best thing would probably be to have a flag on those objects which us
somthing like 'secret transporter'.

 For non secret ones, the default is to send the coordinates the player moves
(shop mats are such an example, and probably should be the only that have this
on by default).  However, other transporters would send a newmap command.  Map
makers could of course override this - if the map maker knows that the
teleporters he has placed are close enough or the two locations are pretty
obvious, those could also send appropriate offset.

 I notice the teleport function also still has the hard coded values of distance
it searches for use of random teleports (basically, a 5 square square from the
original one).  With the larger map size, this is probably less useful, and this
search range should really be customizable.

 the teleport function itself is in server/move.c, line 197.  transport_ob,
which handles things like trapdoors, is right above that.

      Mark, do you want to extend the pngximage client to do use fog of war?

 At some point, we should really figure out what of the various image styles we
will support.  I would guess adding support for this in pngximage should be
pretty easy.  Was the above an offer or asking if I would do it?