[CF List] more general comments

Nils Lohner lohner at debian.org
Sat Jul 28 06:28:43 CDT 2001

SOme more comments and suggestions on what I'd like to see and what's
missing from the perspective of someone who's just started playing hte
game.  The suggestions are things I'd really think would make the game a
lot better, and a lot of them are implementable on the client side
withoug a loss of speed I assume.

Nils.

- when I apply to bed of reality, and then select quit I get:
  Got error on read (error 0)
  gtk_main exited, returning from event_loop
- the game is too slow for me to play well on an ultra 5.  This means
  that I have typeahead, and I don't always know when which keystrokes
  will be used.  It should at least be an option to empty the keyboard
  buffer every move, so that only the current keystroke is used.  This
  is a great help when trying to escape in battle
- along the same lines, have a blood spot or something when someone
  dies.  Its tough to read the 'grazed' etc. message to realize that
  something has or hasn't died.  Something quick and visual would be a
  great help. That way you know who you've killed and who to attack next
  (i.e. not the monster that juat took the place of what you killed but
  something else already weakened for example).
- Also: when creating a monster, have a flash or something at the
  generator so that one can guess at what frequency the monsters get
  generated.
- in the quiver, how do you select which arrows you're using???
- sometimes I can't fire my bow even when its readied.  Why not?  It
  would make sense that 'fire' automatically readies the skill etc. for
  the range weapon selected.
- when picking up items that can get added to something outside of the
  sack (or quiver) add them outside.  THis avoids 10 arrows in the
  quiver and 20 outside for example.
- is ther a way to disable the sack?  Once active, I can't disactivate
  it, and it's annoying to have keys drop into it by default.
- what's the 'Count' for in the inventory window???
- have better auto-pickup selections: allow for all-edible, coins and
  gems, missile weapons (daggers, arrows, etc).  It's a pain to pick up
  individual daggers and arrows all the time!!! I think you understand
  what I mean.  Also, right now they're exclusive, they should be
  individually selectable (i.e. automatically grab missile weapon stuff,
  magic items and coins).
- wishlist: draw all explored areas in the window, and just grey out the
ones you can't see at the moment.  This would help you see where you
are.  You could even leave the artifacts, and just update them the next
time you 'see' them.  Anything alive should not be displayed if you
can't see it of course.
- wishlist: allow for a bigger viewing area.  You can really play this
  cgame in several ways: nethack (strategic goal based) or gauntlet
  (hack-em-up) and for both a bigger display would be nice.