[CF-Devel] Fog of war code checked in

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 31 18:24:44 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 11:50:17PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

     IMO, it is much nicer for the outdoor maps (still very useful for indoor also),

     but really lets you see more of the countryside.  I had thought that objects

     should have partial blocking abilities - ie, it would take several forests to

     completely block, but a single forest would effectively make things behind it

     harder to see (done basically with the lighting code, which means if your in a

     forest at night, your light wouldn't go as far either).  Such a change is

     unrelated to the one above in terms of technical ability, but a similar

     motivation, which was to make more of it visible, was evident.

That would be neat but using the existing lighting code would end up
doing the wrong thing on the client side, if the interpolated stuff
is used anyway. If you are thinking that the end effect would be to
darken tiles that are blocked by LOS, you don't want full bright tiles
adjancent to these 'blocked' tiles leaking light in since it isn't
a lighting issue, it is a blocked view issue.

     The best thing would probably be to have a flag on those objects which use

     something like 'secret transporter'.

     For non secret ones, the default is to send the coordinates the player moves

     (shop mats are such an example, and probably should be the only that have this

     on by default).  However, other transporters would send a newmap command.  Map

     makers could of course override this - if the map maker knows that the

     teleporters he has placed are close enough or the two locations are pretty

     obvious, those could also send appropriate offset.

This solutions sounds right.

      > Mark, do you want to extend the pngximage client to do use fog of war?

     At some point, we should really figure out what of the various image styles we

     will support.  I would guess adding support for this in pngximage should be

     pretty easy.  Was the above an offer or asking if I would do it?

Oh yeah, guess I could have worded that better. I was hoping you could
do it cause I don't have time to do anymore crossfire features until
I get back from my sabbatical in November. I still have some bugs to
fix in the gtkSDL client that dnh reported to me and fix up the other
transport mechanisms to get fog working properly in all cases before
I go.

Do you have any sort of release schedule in mind? Are we just gonna add
lots of features to crossfire and do a 2.0 release in like a year or two
or do you plan on a 1.1 release?

 -Scott