[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jul 13 23:40:32 CDT 2001

Kimmo Hoikka wrote:

      The title system in Omega works well also. You have different titles for guilds

      and it really makes the playing interesting since you can almost never achieve

      the perfect char. Either you consentrate on one guild and become the master of

      that guild or you join different ones and end up beeing mediocre on each (or

      perhaps the champion of all after years and years of playing).

 I have no problem removing the ability of players to set the title.  certain
quests giving titles could be handy (at a basic level, consider the random maps
quest in scorn - your title could certainly be set to baron/knight/lord/etc as
appropriate).

 Note that this idea is falling back into a category that has often been
discussed before, but requires some serious map development.  IMO there have
been many good ideas which largely come down to just making more maps (another
example of this was different racial starting areas/towns, ie, a dwarf cave
system, elf forest, etc,).

      One problem in crossfire nowadays is that you can so easily get to 110 level and

      have the three most important skills >100 and it only takes a few months of

      play. After that you tend to loose interest, start another char or go play

      something else. I think that a mud (such as crossfire) should provide years and

      years or achieving and improving for the real addicts (like me ;)

 Is this caused by abuses, or just the fact that there are so many high
level/high exp monsters that this can easily happen?  I am sure some of the
problems are in the skills - some skills have such few ways to get exp in it
that it was coded such that each time you did manage to successfully use it, you
get a bunch of exp, so if you manage to find a high level monster or item to use
appropriate skill on, you get lots and lots of exp for that.

 OTOH, if you come to the conclusion that you should generally be able to get
one level a day with reasonable amount of playing, that then means it would take
110 takes to get to level 110, that is roughly 4 months.  I'm really not sure
what a reasonable pace is.  Certainly, the max level could be increased, but I'm
not positive if that is a good idea (if the effects per level gained are pretty
good, in then may mean everything becomes a cakewalk, so the complaint then
becomes everything is too easy.  If you don't really get anything per level
gained, then whats really the point?  I'm also worried that increasing max level
won't really fix the problem - make it 200, and then someone will make a level
150 map which player can gets lots of exp, and then get to level 200 quickly).

 Plus IMO I would much rather have map developement more concentrated at the
lower levels  so that there is more variety for the lower level characters.  IMO
it will probably take new players many attempts before they manage to get high
level, so they may end up playing level 1-20 characters (or be in that range) a
very long time, so giving plenty of options in that range would be better than
plenty of options in the 50-100 range which few people are probably at.