[CF List] level gains (was RE: guild & titles)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Jul 14 04:41:31 CDT 2001

Kimmo Hoikka wrote:

      > > One problem in crossfire nowadays is that you can so easily get to 110

      > > level and have the three most important skills >100 and it only takes

      > > few months of play.

      > Is this caused by abuses, or just the fact that there are so many high

      > level/high exp monsters that this can easily happen?

      I think that the level requirement curve should keep closer to exponential

      (as it is in beginning) than linear like it is in the end. In the

     beginning

      you really have to struggle to get a level, in the end you get 5-10 levels

      from a single quest if you do your own level quests. It is better to have

      almost unreachable level 110 (or whatever be the maximum) than to have

      several players ending up level 110 and loose practically all means to

     gain

      exp (after 107 you stop gaining exp on that skill). I know exp is not the

     main

      point of the game, but I just hate games where you too easily bang into

      the limits. I remember starting to play crossfire a few years ago and

     having

      fun at the beginning, making a level every now and then (level<50) and

     then

      all of a sudden beeing level 110 before noticing.

This is absolutely true. The amount of exp you need to collect in order to
gain one level has a "maximum cap" of about 3 mill somewhere near level 50.
That means effectively: Gaining levels above 50 does not get harder - No, it
get's a lot easier. The character grows stronger while the amount of
exp per level gain stays the same.

While that sounds nuts, some time ago, as the exp-loss on death was HUGE,
it really made sense. The amount of exp the character lost when dying did
greatly increase by level - So reaching level 110 was harder than level 50.
However, loosing heaps of levels for dying once turned out to be rather
frustrating and it was capped to, I think, three levels at worst case.

We should really widen the gaps between levels at the high end.
This will make death a little more painful again, but only in respect of
loosing "playtime". A high level character still won't get much weaker
for dying once. Hence, I think it won't be too frustrating, since the
player can still do the same (high-level) quests to recover from the loss.
If that's not enough, I would reduce the exp-penalty-on-death even
further rather than sticking with level gaps equal past 50.

Andreas V.