[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles

Scott Wedel scott at campy.tymnet.com
Sat Jul 14 14:10:27 CDT 2001

While reading through the various posts, I had a radical idea on
dealing with Crossfire money an artifacts oversupply issues.

Rank the characters by the value of items in their castle which
they have to pay to have constructed.  Castle construction could
consist of so much per random premade level of which player can
ask for repeated randomly created proposed levels until they get one
they like.  Once player selects a level then it becomes a fixed
map part of the game.  All monsters in the player's castle are
friendly to the player and the player's party.  Player would get no
exp for killing a monster in his castle.

And then allow apartments only in a player's castle and restrict the
total value of what can be stored in an apartment by the level of
castle map built by the player.

So, for instance, if a player buys a $10,000 GP map level then it
might be a level 5 map with an apartment able to store $5,000 GP
worth of items.

Also, a castle owner with excess items should be able to try to hide
such items in the castle by dropping items in particularly difficult
locations to reach and so on.  These items should persist in the map
until they are picked up by other adventurers or the castle owner.
But the monsters in the castle should refresh as in normal maps.
Castle maps would not have randomly generated treasures beyond that
of it's monsters personal items.

And a castle map should have certain features such as a teleports which
work only for the castle owner which the castle owner can use to
immediately reach the apartments on any level.

I see the castle map consisting of multiple levels because the owner
builds another level when they get enough money.

Anyway, something like that adds a money consuming element to the
game that is needed by the players to store their stuff and then if
high score is not exp, but value of items stored in the castle (does
not include the cost of the castle which makes getting a high score
that much more difficult) then there is something to continue to
play for.

Also, it'd allow a player get the current high score by building a
cheap castle in a very obscure and difficult to reach location and drop
expensive items in it even though other players could take them. So
then competing players might have to find such castles and raid them
so that their expensive castles with properly secured apts once again
have the top scores.

And I suppose castle construction would cost more the more difficult
the terrain and the distance from the nearest town.  And then there
could also be locals in that town's meeting place willing to say that
yes, they built a castle for adventurer Tom or whatever so then
other adventurers known there is a castle to look for.  And I suppose
the castle owner could also pay a silence fee which determines how
much the locals in the town's inn need to be bribed before they
will say there is a local castle.

And so on.

I think that instead of some of the other ideas on levels, guilds and
so on that don't really fit in with the fundamentally hack n slash
world of crossfire, maybe we should try players building castles as a
a means to soak up excess money and artifacts.  Castles in the game
could start of fairly simplistic and then get more and more complicated
and interesting as additional features are added.