[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles (Getting tired)

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sat Jul 21 11:39:19 CDT 2001

Le Vendredi 20 Juillet 2001 18:38, vous avez écrit :

      On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Chachkoff Yann wrote:

      > It is a feature most players like to play with. It may just be a little

      > useless toy, but since most people like it and because it does not

      > require lots of resources, I suppose letting it would not harm. It also

      > solves the debate : I want it / Remove it; so we can still have the

      > nickname system for those that find it fun to use alongside with a

      > complex title system used for guild entries, quests, etc.

       Makes sense.  Presumably, you will want to make it clear what is the

      title the character has chosen, and what titles the character has earned.

      So if you get the title of 'retriever of the kings crown' for some

      quest, and a player decides to 'title' himself with that, it would

      be clear what title is really his and what is effectively a

      nickname.

      > Of course, it is obvious. That's why I suggested a "title" command, so

      > they are not displayed unless you really want to know what they are (much

      > like the list of known spells).

       Otherwise, other than cosmetic/fun, do multiple titles have any real

      efect? I suppose you could have checkers check the characters title, but

      presuming they got the title from some source, just as easy to add

      an invisible object that contains the title as well as key for the

      inventory checker.

     That I do well understand. But there was a discussion here about adding
titles and using them in the game rules. Now you are saying that maybe it is
not an interesting stuff ? I'm quite puzzled by this.

       All in all, this is probably not a hard thing to do, and probably no

      big reason not to do it.  OTOH, if this is a feature most people

      don't care about or look at, there is then the question if it worth doing

      at all.

     *sigh*
Just only two points:
- Titles and nicknames are quite important (to a certain point of course) for
many players (Again, I've not seen the question "what players do think about
it" put a lot here) do like the title stuff and use it, and would be happy to
see it extended in a way or another. So it is certainly worth doing it.
- It may be easy to do, and there may be no good reason not to do it. Then
why no coder already made a model and published as a patch here so anyone can
test it ? Should I or Mich. Toennies go again alone to see it included one
day ? Where are all the coders gone ? I admit some discussion is a neccessity
to get a good consensus, but there must be a time to take the final decision
and go one step further ! If it takes two weeks for a thing as simple as the
player title, how long could it take to decide what to do with more important
things like new object structure or multiheaded server ?
I'm sorry if all this sounds quite "rude", but I and others are becoming
upset by seeing how things are getting in Crossfire - should we move to
another project maybe less advanced but with more good will to do productive
things ?

Chachkoff Y.
(I think I'll get *lots* of friends with this...)