[CF List] First trials

Nils Lohner lohner at debian.org
Fri Jul 27 11:57:43 CDT 2001

Well, I compiled the client and server on Solaris without problems:

~ > uname -a
SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
~ > gcc --version
2.95.2

I had a problem starting the client, but after digging through the
mailing list archives a little found the solution:

~ > gcfclient -server 127.0.0.1

This needs to be a FAQ since anyone with a dialup or behind a firewall
will not be able to start the server.  a -DEBUG option is also needed
in the client, to be able to trace where it blocks.  I saw the problem
with an strace:

connect(9, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(13326), sin_addr=inet_addr("208.20.202.20")}}, 16

Great game, but for a 1.0.0 version it definitely needs polishing.  The
basic features are all there; just the way to use them and the
intuitiveness needs to be improved IMO.

BUGS/COMMENTS:

- here's an error in a defaults file
Unknown display specication in /u/lohner/.crossfire/gdefaults, xpm

- if .crossfire doesnt exist, does it get created?  I get errors like
Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings
...will it create this after a first run?

- after the first character I played, none of my characters have ANY
  melee weapons skils, no matter which race/type I pick!  AAh, I need to
  pick a type ( paladinl, etc.) before I can have any skill at all.
  This needs to eb a a FAQ

- arrows never seem to get added to my arrow count when I pick them up.
  Ah.  They go in teh quiver (likce the sack).  How do I put arrows NOT
  in the quiver into it, and how do I select which ones I want to fire?
- I picked up a cloak once and it didn't appear in my inventory.  Ah,
  the sack.  It should indicate how many items are in it (maybe in
  parentheses?) so you see when something gets added to it.
  AAh.  When the sack is open you can put stuff into it.  This needs to
  be documented somewhere; else its confusing for newbies.
- I don't like 'three shortswords'... make it '3 shortswords'.  Easier
  to read.
- keys are difficult to figure out.  How the heck do you apply it to a
  door???  It keeps hopping into my sack.  I want to be able to click on
  teh key, then apply and a direction.  I can't open the beginner door!
- graphically, the 'live' characters need to stand out more from the
  items lying on the floor.  I can't see when I'm being attacked
  sometimes when clearing out an area!
- when wielding/unwielding a locked long spear I got:
  Could not find match for long spear +1
  The wielding etc. worked fine though.
- the words 'active' 'open' 'readied' etc. take up a lot of space.  Have
  an option to replace them by single letters.  'worn' and 'wielded'
  might be the only problem there.  Change 'worn' to 'donned' ?
- when resizing the inventory window (in single window mode) the map
  doesn't get redrawn.  In fact, any resize seems to do this.
  I have the latest stable GTK installed.
- gravestones seem to stick around for ever. Why?  Expire them after a
  certain number of turns/hours/ etc.  Lots of items lying around (esp.
  in hack-em-up areas) are useless, esp. if you can't eat them and can't
  really make money off them.  Orcs heads etc.  They should rot and then
  disappear
- if I can't save and quit everywhere, give me a PAUSE at least!
  (otherwise it's hard to play at work :)

  Good game though... can get addicting :)

  Nils.