[CF List] First trials

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Jul 31 23:50:58 CDT 2001

Chachkoff Yann wrote:

      I am interested to know more about the server compiled on SunOS/UltraSparc.

      Do you get warning messages when compiling ? Are the performances good ?

 I'll probably be compiling on solaris 8/ultrasparc, but I'll be using the
workshop tools.

 From my past experience, server runs fine.  Client performance does not seem as
good - I don't think it is inherently slower because of the OS, but mostly
because the hardware I was using (U10) isn't as fast as the faster PC's now
days.

 I have compiled the server in 64 bit mode in the past, with no real problems,
and in fact did so with the client.  The biggest problem with the both of those,
especially the client, is that 64 bit versions of all the dependancy libs are
needed.  For the server, this used to be nothing, now it is just the guile lib.
For the client, this is a lot of stuff, so is a pretty big pain to do.

      > - I picked up a cloak once and it didn't appear in my inventory.  Ah,

      >   the sack.  It should indicate how many items are in it (maybe in

      >   parentheses?) so you see when something gets added to it.

      >   AAh.  When the sack is open you can put stuff into it.  This needs to

      >   be documented somewhere; else its confusing for newbies.

      I like the idea of indicating object numbers in the sack. Maybe you are the

      first to ask for that; I've never crossed that idea before.

 Question - is this the number of different items in the sack, the number of
total items, or both?

 Ie, suppose I have a quiver with 10 normal arrows, 15 +1, 20 +2, 5 arrows of
slaying, etc.

 Should the value be printed as '50', as there are 50 total arrows, or as 4, as
there are 4 varieties, or something like 4/50, noting there are 4 varieties, for
a total of 50 items?

 I'm pretty sure this would all be a client change.  I'm not positive if the
nrof values for objects in containers always get updated if the container is not
open.

      > - I don't like 'three shortswords'... make it '3 shortswords'.  Easier

      >   to read.

      Maybe, but I'm not sure. Some people prefer "three" instead of "3".

 This is a pretty trivial change.  Look at get_number in item.c (client).  Its
just a matter of always using the sprintf logic if some global is set, and
modifying the client to support a command line switch to select that, and
optionally the loading/saving of that in the defaults file.

Nils Lohner wrote:

      ~ > gcfclient -server 127.0.0.1

      This needs to be a FAQ since anyone with a dialup or behind a firewall

      will not be able to start the server.  a -DEBUG option is also needed

      in the client, to be able to trace where it blocks.  I saw the problem

      with an strace:

 If your actually compiling from source, the cconfig.h file should be modified
to turn metaserver off.  I was going to make it so command line options could
turn this on/off also, but never got around to it.  Anyone want to take care of
this?