[CF-Devel] Spellpoints recharge rate oddity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Tue Mar 20 13:57:13 CST 2001

Hello everyone, I'm back :-) Apparently I missed it when we switched
mailing lists; I'm still on the old one and aside from the occasional
spam, I was wondering why it was so silent. Anyway, here I am again...

I've been playing on the metalforge server recently, and I noticed that
the sp regen rate is behaving rather strangely.

I'm playing a wizard/priest character (started as sorcerer but switched to
devotee after the server keep putting me back into the selection room --
but I'll save that for another mail) -- and I have equipment that give me
a total of +8 sp regen. Now, the strange part is this: sometimes, the sp
regen is VERY slow (given the magic+8 bonus I have), so slow that it takes
about 3-5 seconds to go up by 1.

But other times, it goes into a frenzy, and increments like several times
a second (and sometimes even several sp at a time, several times a
second). When it's on a rush like this, I can deal out a level 28 firebolt
every 2-3 seconds... and when it's on a slow, I have to wait half a minute
or more just to regain enough sp for another firebolt.

Is this a server bug, or am I missing something?  So far, I've not been
able to consistently reproduce this effect -- I've no idea what causes the
regen rate to change -- but it switches from fast to slow quite
frequently. Although the changes seems to occur when switching equipment,
or even just casting spells, I've never been able to ascertain just what
causes the change. Note that I'm not referring to eq changes that change
my +magic bonuses; unrelated changes sometimes affect it (AFAICT), and
when it's on a rush, taking off +magic eq only slows it down very
slightly; whereas when it's on a slow, putting on eq with +magic bonuses
does not make it significantly faster.

Anybody else have this problem??

Debian GNU/Linux: Cray on your desktop.