[CF-Devel] more client issues

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Mar 22 01:18:29 CST 2001

 Just as a note, I don't think anyone is really actively maintaining the gtk
client.  I personally don't use the gtk client, but will put in a few notes:

Preston Crow wrote:

      Inventory Jumping:

      When you have more items than fit on the screen at a time (i.e., the scroll

      bar is there), sometimes using an item will cause the inventory to jump to

      a different place on the scroll bar.  I see this a lot with locking and

      unlocking containers (especially if I have several identical sacks of

      holding, for example).

 I notice this more if you have a filter on the inventory (like locked items)
and then change the status.

 There is (was) a problem that whenever and item changed , the server would tell
the client of the changes, and the client would re-sort the inventory, even if
the item name did not change.  This is typically not a problem if all item names
are unique, but does get strange behaviour for The Luggage or sacks, where they
have the same name.

 I noticed for example that with 3 luggages, the last one I locked would move to
the top.  I have put a change in the client to make it so that it doesn't
re-sort if the name hasn't changed, but I want to test it a little more before I
check it in.  This may fix this problem.

      Width Annoyance:

      I find it annoying that when I resize the inventory window to make it

      wider, it is the weight field that gets wider.  The weight field should

      stay a fixed size (like the icond field), so that the name field gets

      wider.  In a perfect world, when resizing the entire window, the dialog

      window and the inventory window would each get half of the width

      adjustment; I'm not clear on how difficult that is to implement in GTK.

 You can re-size the width manually (just click on that little separator bar in
the inventory header and drag it).  However, one annoyance is that the setting
is unique for each filter - ie, you set it to the right width for all inventory,
it is still off for unpaid, cursed, magic, locked, .. filters, which is pretty
stupid.

 And realistically, you are correct - the gtk client doesn't do very good with
resizing the window and keeping the sub windows in proper proportion.  This is
probably one thing that X11 client has on the gtk client.