Overgenerosity.. Re: [CF-Devel] acid and repairing of weapons

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sat May 12 21:10:33 CDT 2001

       How big a problem is presents for experienced people?

It's fairly common.  When I see it happen I try to persuade
the 'overgenerous' player that it's better to make the new
player pay for or trade for the items he wants.

Trading and selling to other players is social and doesn't
spoil the fun for the new player, who, after all, had
to work for what he got.

I like Mark's idea of setting a minimum level on many artifacts,
but better yet, we can try to persuade everyone not to be
overgenerous.

After all, what is more fun, finding something cool in the
dungeon for the first time, or getting told, "here, I don't
need this, you can have it."

I think most people would agree with this point of view when
it is properly explained.  We just have to form the proper
culture and be a bit persuasive.

This "cultural" fix has the added benefits of allowing
the players discretion, and the ability to pass things between
their own chars without restriction.  Maybe for your first char
it's very exciting to find that Darkblade, but for your second
char, it's not such a big deal.

All in all, I think we should be very glad we have THIS
problem and not the problem of people slaughtering
each other.

PeterM