[CF-Devel] Data to enlighten the armour maximum argument

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun May 13 22:54:05 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > I wasn't aware that Str adjusted the wc of monsters.

      > As for ac, I took it from the client, which said the

      > target dummy player had an ac of 2.

      That's a good point. I suspect STR for monsters does

      nothing. Likewise WIS, CON and POW do completely

      different things than all mapmakers assumed.

      Stats do *not* work for monsters like they do for

      players. According to "crossfire.doc":

 This is of course easily tested.  My guess would be that Str works the same for
monsters as it does for players - ie, carrying capacity as well as damage (and
to hit) bonus.

      "Pow <number>": If the creature can cast spells, this is how many spell

      points are regenerated each move.

      "Con <number>": Monsters regenerate this many hit points each move.

      This is each time the monster has a move (same for Pow). So two monsters

      with the same Con can regenerate at different rates if their speeds

      are different.

      "Wis <number>": Determines how close a player needs to be before the

      creature wakes up.

      Is this really intended actually? Why are all monsters designed under

      the assumption that stats work for monsters just like for players.

      This is weird.

 I don't know if that is the case for sure or not.

 Monsters are fairly different compared to players (for example, they just have
a set hp/sp/grace total, and not a level array that gets summed up).

 And this is no worse than meanings for other objects not meaning what the
variable name suggests.

 I think the above largely happens because monsters need some abilities that the
players don't directly have, and so these values were recycled for that purpose.