[CF-Devel] crossfire sound

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu May 17 05:08:11 CDT 2001

Mike Poincki wrote:

      > >     ** soundtracks

      > >     (** video clips / cut scenes / stills?  -> who would

      > >         be able to produce them ?)

      > And at least in the last two, how do you distribute them?  Even

      > soundtracks would need to get professionally produced (otherwise,

      > you almost certainly run into copyright issues).

      I don't really get what you mean about copyright issues

      did you ever play megazeux? www.modarchive.com has thousands of songs, and

      I remember that people used to go there (probably still do, I'm not part

      of the mzx scene much anymore), take songs that had no copyright/license

      issues, and use them in their megazeux games. so if we built mod support

      into crossfire, we could do that, or just have somebody write some music

      specifically for the game

Ambient/background sounds is one of the things that I would love to have
in crossfire. And Mike is right, there's tons of free music. Available
in all kinds of musicfile-formats. While these songs are not exactly
what I would play on my next home-party, they are perfectly suited
as ambient/background sounds. You can find free music that is a lot
better than the stuff you hear in professional games.

In my opinion, background music makes for a completely different
gaming experience. I still have the music themes from crappy old
nintendo console-games in my head. Music is the final piece of an
RPG that makes you forget the rest of the world while playing.

For the dynamic sound effects (spell sounds etc), the ones included in
the dxclient from MichToen are already pretty good. Again, there are
huge databases with free sound effects.

"Cut scenes" are another thing that would greatly enhance CF, by adding
much more flair to quests and stories. I hope this will go hand in hand
with scripting abilities of NPCs. Simply allow NPCs to perform scripted
movement, talk etc. Then the player can be frozen for a moment to
watch the actions. Or maybe the player can even take part in the scene,
being controlled by the script for a moment.

Andreas V.