[CF-Devel] Future crossfire changes/projects

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Thu May 17 12:47:12 CDT 2001

      Quoting Mike Ponicki (

      sniper at citilink.com

      ):

      > Regarding the whole performance issue, I think the only good solution is

      > to do exactly what commercial games do, and that's have EVERYTHING

      > possible done on the client side.

     [snip]

      > That means we should have all the maps, sound, music (if/when we add

      > some), everything, on the client side.

     [snip]

      What about security. Both from cheapers and from hackers.

     [snip]

      If everything is held in the client, won't it be possible for someone to tweak

      equipment? Change stats?

     [snip]

That is why CF currently sends the inventory only once, and then only the
changes thereafter. The first part takes care of the cheating, the second
part takes care of the performance. Granted, there's still a lot of room
for improvement, but I think the basic approach currently used is fine.

Roasting my brains over a slow fire. Please do not interrupt this process.