[CF-Devel] Map reset bug?

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon May 21 02:13:32 CDT 2001

"H. S. Teoh" wrote:

      I'm making a new mapset, and I've noticed a strange problem with a certain

      map:

      The player starts in a map called /lankirk/start-house which has a

      savebed. The reset time is set to 3600. Now, the odd thing is, whenever i

      save the play-testing character on the savebed, the map DOES NOT RESET.

      Even after 12 hours. In fact, it didn't even reset after 24 hours.

      If I *quit* the play-testing character (i.e. delete instead of save), then

      the map resets after a reasonable amount of time. Any clues as to what I

      might be doing wrong, or is this a server bug?

 Are there other players on the server, or are you the last one?

 If so, the server basically goes to sleep waiting for new connections.  During
that time it is asleep, maps do not reset.  When someone rejoins, most all the
maps will reset if the time has been long enough, but maps the player can visit
quickly enough will not reset (this is because the server does not check for
potential map resets every tick, but instead every 500 ticks or something).

 If you keep your client connected waiting for the 'play again prompt', it may
also see it as a player being on that map.  I'd have to double check this.

 In reality, these are all server bugs.  If its just a problem with youu being
the only player, that sort of goes away if youu expect these to be used on
public servers.  But I'll also see about adding code to reset maps periodically
even when sleeping.  Now days, when the server is sleeping, it still does in
fact do other activitity now and again (at one time, this was not the case - it
just waited in select), so while it is doing that other activitity, it can also
clear out the old maps.