[CF-Devel] Map reset bug?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Mon May 21 07:23:54 CDT 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:13:32AM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      "H. S. Teoh" wrote:

     [snip]

      > The player starts in a map called /lankirk/start-house which has a

      > savebed. The reset time is set to 3600. Now, the odd thing is, whenever i

      > save the play-testing character on the savebed, the map DOES NOT RESET.

      > Even after 12 hours. In fact, it didn't even reset after 24 hours.

      > If I *quit* the play-testing character (i.e. delete instead of save), then

      > the map resets after a reasonable amount of time. Any clues as to what I

      > might be doing wrong, or is this a server bug?

       Are there other players on the server, or are you the last one?

This is my local server, so it's the last one.

       If so, the server basically goes to sleep waiting for new connections.  During

      that time it is asleep, maps do not reset.  When someone rejoins, most all the

      maps will reset if the time has been long enough, but maps the player can visit

      quickly enough will not reset (this is because the server does not check for

      potential map resets every tick, but instead every 500 ticks or something).

       If you keep your client connected waiting for the 'play again prompt', it may

      also see it as a player being on that map.  I'd have to double check this.

Interestingly, the map *does* reset if I leave my client at the play-again
prompt. It doesn't if I completely disconnect.

       In reality, these are all server bugs.  If its just a problem with youu being

      the only player, that sort of goes away if youu expect these to be used on

      public servers.  But I'll also see about adding code to reset maps periodically

      even when sleeping.  Now days, when the server is sleeping, it still does in

      fact do other activitity now and again (at one time, this was not the case - it

      just waited in select), so while it is doing that other activitity, it can also

      clear out the old maps.

It's not *that* hard to do, is it?

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
-- Sammy