[reeve@ductape.net: Re: [CF-Devel] It is time to get rid of xpms and xbms]

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Wed May 23 14:28:42 CDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Scott Barnes wrote:

      Um, I have to disagree, unless the alternate pngs are smaller than the

      standard ones.  My laptop only has an 800x600 LCD and the crossfire client

      *barely* fits in that with the xpm set (i had to modify the code to allow

      resizing just to get it to fit at all) So unless someone creates a png set

      that the tiles are the size of the xpm tiles, then I think the xpm tiles

      are still needed.  Unless someone wants to write a new client that somehow

      fits in 800x600 with the png set :)

 One reason to get away from the other sets is because they images are
different size - this results in much more work for graphics artist.
If they were all the same size and just a matter of converting format,
that wouldn't be a big deal.  But when its a matter of changing size,
that becomes more of a problem.

 As someone else said, if anything, the space requirements are going to
increase, as the viewable map size increases.

 You can try running the client with the -split option (I'm presuming
unix client here) - that will give you more control of placement and
size of the various windows, so you may be able to fit things in better.

 Run with a larger virtual desktop?

 I think if we try to limit things to being able to run on an 800x600
display, we'lll run into more issues than just image size (such limitations
may end up limiting client options for example.)

 If there is a large enough contingent that running on low-res displays
is important, the ability to scale down the images could be
investigated.  Note that most images probably won't look all that great,
but this is more likely to hit things like floors and other objects that
blend together than things like objects and monsters.