[CF-Devel] attack messages and GTK client

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Mon Nov 5 11:46:39 CST 2001

On 05-Nov-01 Mark Wedel wrote:

       OTOH, what could perhaps be done is that I believe there is a random factor

      decrease these messages.  Maybe remove that, and let the user control what

      portion of the messages they see (ie, if set to 10, they see every 10'th

      message, if set to 1, they see every message).  This is probably more

      predictable than using random values, and also allows a better level of

      control.

Actually..  I was thinking of letting the player set a multiplier for the
random factors.  or perhaps an additive.

The random factor works out alot better than what you suggest IMHO, because
then you have to track what message number you are on in each player.
Additionaly, I can tune messages with the random factor by messagetype, because
some are more frequent than others.  The random values really are predictable..
because basically.. we are expecing that if a message is displayed 1/6 times,
overall you will get 1/6th the messages.  It's done on a per-message basis.

My idea.. is currently I do something similar to:

if (rndm(0, 6) == 0) show_message();

to change to:

if (rndm(0, 6+player->message_factor) == 0) show_message();

so a player could 'setmfactor 99  and pretty much wipe them out.

Either way..  I make no assertions that the current random values are perfect.
I am tuning still, and will continue to do so.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS