[CF-Devel] Suggestion.

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Nov 17 06:04:35 CST 2001

Sorry to say, but I think random-generated worldmaps would suck.

(That doesn't apply to the weather effects thing suggested by
garbled. That might be pretty nice, but we can have that just
as well without a random worldmap)

Why do I think random worldmaps would suck? Because they'd be
boring. Randommaps can never compete with maps created by humans.
Take lake country for example. The whole map is designed in
a connective way: There are quests and npcs/books etc referring
to certain places. We've got the wiztower in the swamp to the sout-east,
the chaos lair in the mountains to the north, butakis fortress
on a small river-island in the middle etc.
Something like that can never be created at random.
Or think about pupland, and imagine what it would be like if it
was randomly generated.

I admit that the current main-continent worldmaps really don't have
much content (unlike lake country or pupland) - But that was the main
reason why we wanted to redo them, remember?

And one thing I don't understand about the whole random-worldmap
thing anyways:
You obviously have to link in the non-random maps (like cities,
caves, castled etc.). How is that supposed to happen? If you link them
in at random locations the players are completely des-oriented and
there's no way to create a reasonable quest on the worldmap (because
you can't tell the player where to find the places to go).
So, if you link them to non-random places, that actually means the
whole thing really isn't a random-map anymore. And why code a huge
random-generator if the outcome is a non-random map in the first place?

Well, just my thoughts.

Andreas V.