[CF-Devel] New Dragon Pic

Joris Bontje jbontje at suespammers.org
Thu Nov 22 14:18:52 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 02:52:44AM +1100, The Tool wrote:

      Ok, my friend James Dominguez has finished colouring his picture of the red

      dragon.

      you can look at it through the link below, first he has requested i post

      this disclaimer:

Its a very nice image, although it is currently a bit too big to be included in
the game :)

      All images submitted for use in Crossfire by James J. Dominguez are

      copyright.

      The makers of Crossfire have free and unlimited permission to use these

      images in the game for an indefinite period.

      The images are provided as-is and may not be altered.  This includes concept

      images, outlines, large coloured preliminary images, and the finished icon

      images.  Images may not be edited, recoloured, or altered in any other way

      without express written (including emailed) permission.

      If Crossfire ever becomes a commercial venture, and is no longer a free

      product, then this permission will become void and all images by James J.

      Dominguez may no longer be used unless a new agreement is reached.

Although I don't have the intention to start a lenghtly discussion about the
acceptence of this license, I don't quite agree with it on first sight.
I would agree with a restriction that the images should be used only for the
intended purpose, The Opensource game named Crossfire. But the additional
rules don't feel good. They forbid to include them in logo's and banners.
And we have no way to keep using them when we need a change after James has
'left' the project. Unless they are all delivered 'PixelPerfect', lots of
little editing is needed, asking permission for all the individual changes is not
usable in my oppinion.

What would be a better license?

I don't know, it's the authors work ofcourse, but also non 'makers of Crossfire' should be
able to use them in their crossfire editors, tools, clients and websites.
Maybe something like: "Free usage in Crossfire and Crossfire related projects using
an opensource license. Propper crediting to the author should be given included
a clear announcement of made modifications."

Joris Bontje / mids