[CF-Devel] Re: JD disclaimer

The Tool opiate49 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 20:44:22 CST 2001

ok. i'm gonna reply to mwedel directly, since he is the main man :)
But this is kinda to everyone.
JD wrote that disclaimer off the top of his head in about 2 seconds. he
didn't think about most of it.
JD is happy as long as: If we modify his picture (this does not include
resizing or changing the format) he wants us to ask his permission. And yes,
maybe someone will steal the image, but as long as, if any of us find it
somewhere else we send them an e-mail to the admin asking them to take it
down.
JD is also happy (i just spoke to him on the phone and confirmed this) that
the picture can be used for anything that is part of the opensource game
Crossfire. This includes source, clients, webpages, logos, etc - as long as
picture looks the same.
90% of the disclaimer was not legal. If we misuse his picture, JD is not
going to sue or take legal action, he will just ask us to either change it
back or remove it. OR ask for his permission to change it.
JD says there is absolutely no need to put any kind of warning or copyright
statement on the game. Just as long as people respect that it is HIS art,
and it will remain HIS art.
As far as animations go. JD is currently working on animated them to about 4
frames. And if we want additional or modified animation, we ask him to do
it, and if he's too busy - he will give us permission to do so.
JD is literally shocked at the responce he has got, because he didn't really
mean his disclaimer as a legally enforced strict agreement. He meant it as a
sign of Respect for his art.

I hope this has cleared things up for you all.

^TooL^