[CF-Devel] Paralyze

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Nov 22 14:17:16 CST 2001

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 22-Nov-01 Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > I think the game is too fast to allow anything more than

      > split-second paralysis, because otherwise, you may

      > as well make paralyze an instant deathstrike.

      I don't have a problem with split-second paralysis, thats not so bad.  As long

      as you can't get yourself into a box where you are getting paralized repeatedly

      and can't do anything about it.  Long drawn out paralysis is harsh though.

 Thats the difficult part.

 IF paralysis just lasted say 5 ticks (a bit more than half a second), it is a
pretty big disadvantage. If you happen to get paralyzed and then some damage
spell is cast, that will hurt.

 Note that protection from paralysis could effect that (eg, if you are 60%
protected, it is now 2 ticks).

 The difficulty is preventing the case where you just continually get
paralyzed.  If you are just fighting one monster with the spell, chances are you
are OK (because the monster will probably choose some other spell to cast or you
may make your saving throw or whatever).  The problem is lots of maps have like
20 beholders, of which a non trivial portion will cast paralyze, making it so
you may constantly get hit by it.

 Making it so it prevents movement could be interesting (eg, paralyzes your leg
muscles only).  This means you could still drink those potions or cast those
spells (including remove paralysis) to survive it.  This would make it similar
to confusion right now in some sense.  However, if this option is chosen, then
it should still have a longer duration.  For monsters, it could still completely
paralyze them.  Putting in code to do this would not be that difficult - just
need to check to see if the player is paralyzed in the movement routines.