[CF-Devel] Re: JD disclaimer

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Nov 24 03:08:38 CST 2001

 That sounds much more reasonable. One problem is that I don't really want to
having something like 'crossfire is distributed under the GPL except for these 5
images'.  This could also prove problematic for him - the fact that many files
say the crossfire is distributed under the GPL - someone could easily grab it,
think that the image is in fact under GPL (and in fact, there may be nothing
that actually says it is not).

 Ironically enough, if crossfire was in fact closed source, various restrictions
would be more agreeable to me simply because the control of the files is higher
- easier to know that other people are not modifying it for example.

 One thing you may also want to mention to him is that there are somewhere
around 3000 images total and a lot of maps.  So while his restrictions from his
standpoint may not seem like a very big deal, from my standpoint, it could get
to be really annoying (suppose there are 10 image contributors with different
policies for example).

 I think the biggest problem I have is potentially making a promise that may
prove difficult keep.
What I could agree to:

1) Image is only for the game as crossfire.  Image can not be used in any pay
version of the game (I don't think there will likely be a pay version, but who
knows, and of course, that only changes distribution at that point - old free
versions can never be revoked).  This does not include things which are at or
near media cost redistributions of archives (ie, a cdrom of some archive or say
a bunch of linux packages).

2) A notice will be included which says when those particular images are
modified, he should be notified, preferably in advance.  Note that we can
include a version of the images just as we get them from him, and include them
as well as a pointer saying that those were the originals.  I personally do not
want to have to watch to make sure that no one does anything unauthorized with
various images.  If the image is found to have been modified not to his liking
or without notification, at his request we will revert the image back to its
original form.

3) While the images may only be for crossfire, he should understand that there
are certainly cases where the image may 'leak' out without its owner and
restrictions being listed (eg, screenshots or web pages).  This may create
confusion since the game is generally listed under the GPL.  However, my
personal understanding is that unless the web page with the screenshot or the
like specifically give permission to re-use the image, it is under implicity
copyright.