[CF-Devel] RE: GTK editor

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Fri Oct 26 04:05:24 CDT 2001

     ===== Original Message From <

      andi.vogl at gmx.net

      > =====

     Chachkoff Y. wrote:

      A GTK editor is under development. Should reach beta-test stage

      in a couple of  weeks.

     Why are you developing a GTK editor?

     Because quite some people asked for one.

     Then we have two editors and the development effort is split

     in half.

     The idea behind the Java Editor was to have one editor for

     everybody. With a GTK editor, the linux guys will maybe work

     on the GTK and the windows guys on the Java Editor.

     And just like with the clients, whenever there is a new feature

     we have to update two map-editors instead of one.

     And GTK runs only on linux/unix systems, does it?

     Untrue. There are ports of GTK to Windows and they are quite complete and
up-to-date.

     That means,

     even if you create a super-fantastic GTK editor, you reach only

     half of the user-base. And maybe there's even linux-systems without

     GTK installed.

     That is also true with Java, isn't it ?

     Not to mention how unpredictable the future of a toolkit like GTK can be.

     The GTK toolkit seems to be quite widespread today and should not disappear in
the next years.

     I don't want to stop you developing this editor. And I'm certainly

     not mad with you for doing it.

     It just makes me a little bit sad to see how Crossfire developers

     never cooperate on anything.

You don't understand the problem: It is not that I don't like the Java editor
(I already expressed on this), neither that I favour GTK/Linux over anything
else (personally I do prefer QT) - And for the question of the programming
language used, I definitely find Java cleaner and more portable than C.
But...
What some mapmakers already expressed is quite easy to understand: In its
current form, the Java editor is "too heavy" for their computers (either for
speed or resources consumptions). Attempts to improve this have given little
results so far. I admit that having just one java editor is indeed the best
way - But if people are still using the old crossedit just because they can't
run smoothly the Java editor, there is clearly a demand for such a tool. (I
could simply have said to them "buy a new computer", but they strangely found
that solution unsatifying).
If I was able to find a solution to make the Java Editor faster/smaller, I
would never have started this. But since it would have required the rewriting
of the Swing GUI toolkit, I was unable to do anything.

Chachkoff Y.

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.f2s.com

      for