[CF List] levels & exp

lembark at wrkhors.com lembark at wrkhors.com
Mon Apr 1 17:28:02 CST 2002

      the process fun to plan && well-streamlined. Emphasis there

      would be on allowing people to lay out "effective" dungeons

      [whatever definition we come up with] with minimal overhead.

      Maybe a map editor could give some support here? I currently have no idea

      how to make an "effective map" template, but I have a few other ideas that

      would simplify map making.

      How about a few quick buttons, to which you could temporay assign a few

      commonly used tiles for the current map. Like if you use stone floor tiles

      and lava alot on a map.

      And in the Java editor, a "fill below" option like the old X11 editor had.

      A random level monster designer, that makes files to put under the styles/

      directory.

      Maybe there could be templates for commonly used map mechanisms, like a

      1-8 randomizer; spikes,boulder and 8 buttons. I know these aren't really

      hard to make, but if you're new to map making a collection of map

      mechanisms could at least give you some ideas on what is possible. (or

      just a machanism gallery in the help section)

Going overboard for a moment, what about a design document
w/ suggestions from the better maps. It could include comments
on why the maps seem good and what the designers did do make
them work.

Might be worth [yet another] mailing list for dungeon designers
to discuss what they do and how. The archive of this list would
make a nice reference on how to do things properly and probably
give some good feedback to the map-designer-tool maintainers on
how to improve that also.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647