[CF List] levels & exp

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Apr 1 21:44:14 CST 2002

Henric Karlsson wrote:

      Well there is, if I remeber correctly a directory

       maps/styles/monsterstyles/

      Where it seems possible to define your own random levels (with respect to

      monsters). So if a map has a special monster need it should probably be

      possible to do even with random levels.

 Thats true - as long as you can change the current monsters, that works out
fine.

      How about a few quick buttons, to which you could temporay assign a few

      commonly used tiles for the current map. Like if you use stone floor tiles

      and lava alot on a map.

 At least in the x11 editor, you could use the picks to do that - the picks were
just normal maps, so I would think it would be possible to take the objects you
will commonly use and make them into a picks type map (its just a flag which I
think changes the behaviour on how things work).

Steven Lembark wrote:

      Going overboard for a moment, what about a design document

      w/ suggestions from the better maps. It could include comments

      on why the maps seem good and what the designers did do make

      them work.

 There isn't a defined document, but in the server directory, there is the
doc/Developers/mapguide which says a few things to do.

 Probably the biggest thing IMO that makes maps good are details/problem
solving/paying attention to clues given (eg, not just go in and kill everything
in sight).

      Might be worth [yet another] mailing list for dungeon designers

      to discuss what they do and how. The archive of this list would

      make a nice reference on how to do things properly and probably

      give some good feedback to the map-designer-tool maintainers on

      how to improve that also.

 There is a crossfire-maps mailing list at sourceforge.  Not used very much at
current time.  I think there is probably a large amount of cross subscriber
membership.