[CF List] Levels, exp and stats (tewaking the mobs in common)

Scott Wedel scott at campy.tymnet.com
Wed Apr 17 16:52:55 CDT 2002

     We had a lot of fun in tweaking all the stats * 3.(better said

     ATTRIBUTES like STR,DEX,INT...).

     After that we really wondered why the server worked that long time

     without crashing at all :P

     The reason was , like you surely can imagine, that lots of stat-lookups

     and stat-computings have just been desiged to use a (too) short ranged

     table (capable to manage all stats from 1 to 30 i think).DEX made the

     most problems (game crashed sometimes when giants threw boulder and so

     on...)

Two thoughts on this:
1)  It implies that CF server has an error in that can read in stats
with illegal values.  There should be error checking to prevent that.

2)  It is an very interesting idea on how to make the game better.
Monsters with sufficiently high stat bonuses (actual values are
probably unknown due to reading past the end of tables) are reported
to make the game interesting for characters of relatively high level.
That suggests that maybe stat tables should be extended to say 100 so
monsters can be made strong and quick enough to be a challenge.  That
also suggests that to keep the game challenging that the max stat for
players should remain at 30.