[CF List] Multiple resistance objects don't add up...

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Aug 11 14:18:58 CDT 2002

      Why is it that things like this happen:

      Ring armor +24 (worn)

      Ring armor +25 (worn)

      Does not equal armor +49?

Diminishing returns at the high end of
resistance scale. That means one equipment with
+50% is worth more than two with +25% each.

We had this scheme with physical protection (=armour) all the
time. Since at last one year this is in place for all attacktypes.
We call it "partial resistances".

Think about it: How easy would the game be if resistances
just added up? You'd be able to hit the 100% mark with almost
any type of resistance, using even simple rings and stuff
from lowlevel dungeons.

Now what is a bit special is how negative resistances
are calculated. That's probably what made you wonder why
you didn't get your acid resist up after applying those -40%.

The negative and positive resistances are calculated
*seperate*, each with diminishing returns at their end of scale.
Then, they are added together. That means in practice,
when you wear -40% acid, best you can ever get is +60%.

Hence, vulnerabilities have a serious impact
on your total resistance level.
You might argue against it, but most of the times
something gives negative resistance, that is supposed to
have a noticeable effect.

      So I now have an equivalent of +330 acid resistance equipment,

      and my guy shows only +58 acid resistance!

If you'd ask me, the fact that you can even *get* +330%
acid resistance shows that resistances must not simply add up.
However, when you just remove the -40%, you'll be at +98%
and that is pretty much invulnerability.

As a sidenote: We have discussed this partial resistance scheme
pretty lenghty last year before it came in place.
If you are very interested you can dig through the archives.

Andreas