[CF-Devel] The Java Client

Isak Styf oxygen at ludd.luth.se
Tue Feb 19 10:55:28 CST 2002

lördagen den 16 februari 2002 kl 19.03 skrev Andreas Vogl:

      Hi Isak Styf,

      I am very happy about your effort to revive the Java Client.

      The Windows client is currently kinda lacking support, so maybe

      a Java Client might become handy for Win- (and of course Mac-) users.

That was why i started to work on it from the beginning. I believe that a
Java client has the potential to please an even larger audience than
that.

      I'm pretty sure Phil is going to like your work. Maybe you could join

      up somehow and roll out a new "official" Java Client release...

I guess what would be best would be to put the sources in the CVS so
more people can work with it. I dont think i can do that all by my self
though
since the code is not in the public domain (to the best of my knowledge)
and i dont know what Phil would think about that.

I sent my mail about the modifications over two months ago, and since
that day i havent done that very much coding on it. Most of my time is
spent
doing commercial programming and finishing up my studies, so
unfortunately
i havent been able to work as much on the client as i have wanted. I
planned
to do a complete rewrite using interfaces and inheritances to cope with
the
Swing/NOSWING audience seamlessly. I havent started that work yet though.

      What I noticed from your screenshot is that you seem to have

      problems with some pngs not being displayed correctly.

Yes. Quite a few pictures get a gray "cloud" on top of them.

      I have coded a lot for the Crossfire Java Editor and this problem

      is very familiar to me. I assume you did use the default Java methods

      to load pngs? While using these, I had the same problems with the

      editor.

      Applying an "external" png library fixed the problem for me. I use the

      sixlegs png library <

      http://www.sixlegs.com/software/png/

      >.

      It's the only png lib I found which is free, GPLed and working.

I will check that out. The png bug is annoying.

      Java rules, ;o)

      Andreas V.

      PS.: Another small question: Where did you get a Java2 SDK for MacOS?

            I know someone here who is searching for that...

For Classic MacOS there is no Java2 SDK because there is no Java2
support for Classic MacOS. I have done my development work with
Project Builder under MacOS X which has 1.3.1 under the hood.

Bye for now.

     /// Isak Styf